- Replace standard bulbs with CFLs. Compact fluorescent light bulbs are more energy-efficient than regular bulbs, while giving off the same amount of light.
- Use the right bulb. Make sure you’re using the appropriate CFL bulb for your light fixture – they come in various sizes and types for different lighting needs.
- Replace halogen light bulbs, which can get hot enough to be a fire hazard, with CFLs – they use less energy and don’t get as hot.
- Use motion-detector lights for all your outdoor lighting – they’re convenient and efficient.
- Replace your five most-used light fixtures and/or bulbs with ENERGY STAR® products. If every Australian did so, we would save millions of dollars per year in energy costs.
- Consider using timers to turn lights on in the morning and off during the day.
- Choose outdoor CFLs for outdoor lighting – they last up to 10 times longer than standard bulbs.
- Select light-colored or opaque lamp shades. Place lamps in corners so they reflect light from two walls.
- Install fluorescent tubes as an efficient way to light your workshop or playroom.
Modified on: Tue, 18 Aug, 2015 at 1:07 PM
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.